Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Rare Guest

Well, certainly not a rare bird but it's rare in my backyard. I have set up a bird feeder hanging from an unused basketball goal in my backyard. It's easily visible from my window so I was eagerly anticipating all the colorful birds that would soon take advantage of it. Then I found that I have a couple of young hawks who seem to roost in the trees behind my house. Songbirds are scarce lately. I get some American Crows and Northern Cardinals but not much else. The Squirrels appreciated the challenge of getting to the feeder from the hoop, but even they grew bored.

Finally, a few days ago, I had a couple of Dark-eyed Juncos feeding on the scattered seeds. One of them was kind enough to perch at the top of the pole where I could get some nice photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment